Crawley is one of the original eight ‘New Towns’ developed after 1947 in an attempt to halt the continued slum-sprawl of London post war and to create employment, housing and a higher quality in a green environment. The Town Hall, built in the 1950’s forms part of the Broadway, a wide central Boulevard, built for the new world of the motorcar. Extended numerous times over the years the project is now at the end of its life and is no longer fit for purpose.
Our role is to work with the Council and a wider master planning team, including Cartwright Pickard Architects in the redevelopment of the site to provide an entirely new Civic Building and new Council Chamber, customer services space, a new landscaped urban piazza and significant town centre private and affordable dwellings. The project is at pre-application planning stage and has extensive community support.